Thursday, April 21, 2011

GNC experience

I have to be honest.  I have been very concerned about the supplements that I will need to take after having Weight Loss Surgery.  Today changed my whole viewpoint on this concern. 
I have been to a few WLS Support Group meetings, and they all recommended that I go to GNC at Mayfaire Towncentre in Wilmington, NC (where I live).  I have been putting this off for weeks..... but I finally did it, and boy am I glad I did!! 
I went in and told the young man working there that I was going to have Gastric Bypass surgery, he immediately asked me to wait while he went to get the owner.  (I think he was the owner...if not, then he was most definitely the manager).  An older gentleman came out of the back room with a young girl that he was training and he came right up and introduced himself as Paul.  Paul proceeded to walk me around the store and show me the different protein drinks, vitamins and other options for the different post-op stages.  He was incredibly knowledgeable on the needs of people that are undergoing this surgery.  He knew exactly what I needed, and even explained how I could change from one protein form to another as I progress through the post-op stages.  He showed me the nutrition labels of everything, and explained why I needed to stay away from some products, or why other products will not give me what I need.  At no point did I feel like he was trying to convince me that other products were no good and that I only should buy from GNC - which is one of the things I was really worried about before I went in. 
A few things that he told me that impressed me about GNC were 1) that all of their products are shipped in refrigerated trucks (good for when it starts getting crazy hot around here!) and 2) that if I try a product for a week and I find it not palatable or it just doesn't work for me, I can return it opened and partially used and get a FULL refund!
During our discussion, he asked me which surgeon I was seeing, and when I told him Dr. Miles, he informed me that he gives a Gold Card membership to Dr. Miles' patients ($15 anual fee) for FREE!  The Gold Card allows for members to get 20% off during the first 7 days of each month.  It also puts me on a mailing list to get their catalog in the mail to let me know what is on sale that month.  Paul also gave me free full sized samples of a protein sports drink, a protein shake, and a high protein beef jerky!! 
All in all, I had a wonderful experience at GNC, and Paul is an incredibly informed man that I look forward to purchasing from in the future!!

Published with Blogger-droid v1.6.8

No comments:

Post a Comment