Monday, April 25, 2011

My story (posted on ObesityHelp.com) - UPDATED!

Hi y'all!  My name is Debi and I have a HOLD on a surgery date!!
I have been married to my wonderful husband for 8 years.  We have 2 brilliant and beautiful children, a 6 year old boy and a 2 year old girl.  I decided to use the username "SqueezyMama" because my son has always described thin people as being "Squeezy" :)  I asked him this week how he would feel if Mama had a surgery to make her "squeezy" and he said he wanted me to, even though he would miss me when I was in the hospital (awww!) - he is so sweet! 

Here's a little about my family history with WLS:
BOTH of my siblings (sisters) have had LapBand surgery.  2 of my female cousins have had LapBand. 1 of my male cousins has had Gastric Bypass. 

My older sister was the pioneer in our family, being the first to have WLS.  She was very successful....almost made it to her goal when she got pregnant with my nephew.  She is currently working back to her goal.

My younger sister has had a slower process due to losing her health insurance....so she was unable to get a fill for a long time.  She now has insurance and is working toward her goal.

My 2 LapBand cousins have had a harder struggle with the LapBand.

My 1 GB cousin has been so successful with GB that he actually had to gain some weight back because he had lost too much!

Here is MY history with WLS:
February 2, 2011 - First appointment with Dr. David Miles' office - met with PA & was told I was a good candidate for WLS (weighed 307 lbs. at this appointment - my highest ever was 316 lbs.)

February 2, 2011 - First WLS Support Group meeting (meets 1st Wednesday of each month)

March 2, 2011 - Second WLS Support Group meeting

March 9, 2011 - Second appointment with Dr. Miles' office - Information session on WLS types with PA (306 - lost 1 lb)
at this point I had decided that I would prefer to get the LapBand, so I need to meet the surgeon before they schedule an endoscopy

March 12, 2011 - First nutrition class (scale said 310, but I will be going by surgeon's scale)

March 22, 2011 - Psychological Evaluation - session 1

March 24, 2011 - Psychological Evaluation - session 2 - approved!

April 7, 2011 - Third appointment with Dr. Miles' office - Met Dr. Miles himself and discussed LapBand or GB(ReY).  He gave me some information that I had not heard before and at this point, I went back to square one in my decision-making process.
(297 lbs - lost 10 lbs since February!)

April 11, 2011 - Got the phone call from Dr. Miles' office that my Endoscopy is scheduled for May 6.  If I choose to go the GB route, then I can cancel that appointment before it happens.

April 11, 2011 - Attended different WLS Support Group meeting due to a schedule conflict (meets 2nd Monday of each month)

April 23, 2011 - Second Nutrition Class - Lost 14 pounds in the past 6 weeks since the last class!

April 27, 2011 - Gallbladder Ultrsound and bloodwork

May 2, 2011 - Sleep Study

1 more appointment with the surgeon

July 5, 2011 - I have a HOLD on this date as my SURGERY DAY!!


That is it for now!  This website and the support groups I have been to have really helped me to make the decision to go with the Gastric Bypass (Roux-en-Y).  I look forward to sharing this journey with others!

Check out my BLOG!  (Yes, I can't believe it either, but I started one!)

www.squeezymama.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment